Friday 22 April 2011

ATL Conference - Liverpool 2011

As many of you know, I was fortunate enough to be invited along to the ATL conference this week in Liverpool. It was such an incredible experience. I met some absolutely wonderful people, listened to some inspiring speeches, voted on motions and generally got well and truly into the spirit of conference!

As a trainee teacher I was invited along as an ATL Future delegate and I got to know some lovely fellow trainees and NQ's over the course of the 4 days in Liverpool. I surprised myself a bit too, I found myself incredibly passionate about a particular motion on "risk-averse mentality" in schools. So much so that I decided to take myself up to the podium and speak as part of the debate on the subject. It was ever so slightly nerve-wracking speaking up on stage in front of several hundred, experienced and inspiring, teachers. But the feedback I recieved from everyone was lovely afterwards. Despite my heart pounding in my chest and feeling decidedly shaky about the whole thing, apparently I spoke concisely and confidently! (BBC news reported on the motion here)

We were based in the BT Conference centre down by the docks and the big wheel

I love the juxtapositon of new and old buildings

Some of the wonderful people I met, enjoying Conference meal!

More lovely people!

Even more lovely people!

It was so nice to meet so many like-minded people, we had a real laugh and it was great to met someone else who loves a good sea shanty! :D

The starter of watermelon, feta, pancetta, rocket and sweet chilli was lovely!

The chicken, carrots, potatoes and sugar snap peas were gorgeous too!

Beatlez provided entertainment for the evening

Our final night in the hotel... hopefully I will be able to attend the informal ATL Future Steering Group meetings so I can stay involved and see everyone again! So I'd like to say a big thank you to ATL, and the ATL Future bunch who made the four days so comepletely brilliant!

1 comment:

Sophie in the Sticks said...

great pictures, loved the looks of the meal, I feel hungry now!
http://cgdn.blogspot.com/