Sunday 20 February 2011

The Royal Armouries Leeds - A Great Free Museum To Visit

It's half term and I've got visitors for a few days. Danny's family are up in Leeds until Tuesday so we've planned in some touristy fun. Yesterday we went shopping in Leeds City Centre (in the snow!) and today we've been to the Royal Armouries at Clarence Dock. I think tomorrow will include a visit to Tropical World (which will no doubt result in another blog post!).

The Armouries are a great museum to visit, not only because it is free, but because it's great fun, loads to see (we spent over 2hrs there) and there are always events on, especially during half terms. On our visit there were various Chinese New Year themed events including a Chinese New Year animal petting zoo (a somewhat tedious link methinks) and Lion dancing, which we managed to see a bit of.


The Royal Armouries most famous piece: the Henry VIII horned helmet

Helmet, complete with nose and moustache :)



Elephant armour in the Oriental gallery

Chinese New Year Lion Dancing

2 comments:

daisychain said...

I love museums, I'm long over-due a visit to Bristol's one. I went all the time when I was at college as it was just up the road!

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

I don't know about taking children but my dad would love it there!

Victoria xx